May 14, 2009

Jicamas and Art

I put my 32-week picture up over on the right. I can see a difference in the last 4 weeks. It's hard to believe I'm going to get even bigger. It is also hard to believe that there may only be one more belly picture to share before Baby Boy is born. I take them every 4 weeks, so I'll post a 36-week picture, then the next one would be 40 weeks. I may make it 40 weeks, you never know. But I never have before so I'm crossing my fingers that this guy will come at least a few days early because I know how miserable I'll be by then. According to babycenter.com, my boy is currently 3 3/4 - 4 lbs and is comparable in weight to this interesting piece of produce (they have a whole slide show of comparisons of a baby at each gestational week to a piece of supermarket produce). Apparently, it is called a jicama.



I got online this morning and this picture was on the Yahoo! homepage.

My first thought was, "Why is there a picture of someone holding a piece of poop on the Yahoo! homepage?" Then, I read that apparently, it is thought to be oldest sculpture ever discovered (like 40,000 years or something like that). My second thought was, "Who cares?" Which made me think about the fact that I am generally unimpressed with art. Unless it's something that I, personally think is pretty, I could care less about art in general. It's just not in me. I'm not artistic, and I think I'm getting through life pretty well. My kids enjoy coloring, but when Steven has a crayon or marker in his hand, I find that Steve and I generally encourage him to write letters, as opposed to drawing pictures. Maybe that is why he brought this home from Sunday School a while ago.

I was actually really impressed with it (Steve was not). It was the first time I have ever seen him depict a person or anything, really in his coloring. He usually just scribbles. I think most kids his age may be a little beyond this, but I don't care. Like I said, "art, shmart." He can throw a football like a rocket, he can write his letters and he can spell small words. I think he'll be alright in life, even if his artistic skills never surpass this:

I just think it's so cute, I had to post it, again :-)

And lastly, THIS blog cracks me up. As a girl raised in Baptist Church, everything this guy has to say is SO true! I subscribe to it on my google reader and it makes me laugh every morning!

1 comment:

Cara Joy said...

I will have you know I sat up reading that guy's blog for an hour the night I read this entry. He's great! And I love Steven's drawing...it has a humpty dumpty feel to it, dont you think?